Friday, August 12, 2016

Oh, to Save a Few Bucks

As many of your know I tend to be a little on the overly thrifty side.  I get most of my frames for projects from thrift stores, Goodwill, etc.  I do not always check carefully to see if they are all wood.

Well, I got a $2 frame for the Blue Heron projects that I did and it was a reddish deep mahogony color so I decide to paint it in a Driftwood paint/stain that I had on hand.  It was a little "sticky", you know how varnish can get when it is old, after I washed it so I decided to sand it down.

I grab my hand sander and start going to town.  Now I am beginning to like this distressed red color that I have going on and thought I could use it in my red, white and blue guest room and get something else for the heron.  Well, I got a tad carried away (really carried away) and ended up destroying the finish completely which was, of course, just applied to a press board frame.  It was so roughed up by the time I quit  messing with it that I thought it was going to be a total loss.

Not one to give up easily, I decided to spray paint the whole thing (rough parts and all) with some spray paint that I used on the brass bathroom light fixtures and mirror frame several of years ago when we finished fixing the house.  So here it is in all its rough glory!

It now hangs in the guest bathroom.  I sometimes amaze myself.  Thanks to Tara C. and her videos I am able to frame using foam core and bridal pins.  I am pretty happy with it.  (Oh, this is it sitting on the floor.  My walls don't look this good!)

Am working away on a couple of the large projects that did not get to go on our recent trip.  I have a little change on Old World Vinery by Chatelaine that I will save until the next post when it is all worked out.

Thanks for visiting.


  1. You have made a great job salvaging the frame, it looks perfect for the heron now.

    1. Thanks, it was quite an adventure in framing.

  2. Well done! The frame is perfect for the Heron. Beautiful.

  3. Sounds like quite an adventure, but it did work out beautifully in the end!