Friday, November 21, 2014

Finally Friday Finish

I am so glad to be able to report a finish.  It has been a while since I have been able to take a piece off the frame and get it in the wash!  woohoo

I finished the HAED Santa and Mouse free pattern from the Heaven and Earth Designs website. 

This was my first Heaven and Earth Design.  I did it in preparation for a really large project I am doing as a gift.  It is supposed to be an ornament......HA..... it measures 8.5 x 8.5 inches so it is a little large.  I did it on 18 count aida.  I did not want to use anything smaller for my first attempt.  Not sure how I will mount it.  I also note that I did not use the Krenik that was called for as it was only on the outside of the circle.  I may do a tent stitch in a square around it to square it up for framing or perhaps a round mat.  Have not decided.

What amazes me about this project is that while I was doing it the subject matter was a little hard to distinguish.  Then, as it came to life it was pretty inspiring.

I started this on September 19, 2014 and finished it November 21, 2014.  It took approximately 140 hours.  I used the Hours Tracker app to keep track of the time.  I was pretty good about recording the time, but it is still an approximation of the hours. 

Lots of left over thread.  What I found nice about doing this project is that because I kitted it myself using DMC floss, I did not have to scrimp as I often do when I work from a kit using the thread provided.  I like that a lot. 

Now to get to work on the rest of those WIPs.  I have been spending all my time on this little guy.  Glad it is over before December.

I started attempting to use different fabric, the first one being linen.  It has been a challenge, but I have a great teacher for support.  She has videos of her stitching under Tara C.  She is a wealth of knowledge about fabrics and very encouraging.  At any rate, I have been working on a small Thea Gouvernour design (a yellow rose) that I got from when I realized I had some credits so I paid nothing.....woohoo.  I got it because it was not on aida fabric.  I am getting the hang of it, but it is certainly a test of my patience and my eyesight.  It is also a challenge to photograph. 

 I started out using a hoop but changed to a QSnap and like it better.  Using the snap seems to help the fabric stay a little straighter and make the counting easier for me.  I am having to change the way I usually stitch.  I am doing a stitch at a time and I only put the center grid line in for reference.  I am also working on stitching horizontally exclusively as I find it easier to keep my place that way.  I have also discovered that my tension is an issue with this fabric.  I have to take care not to pull the stitches to tight or it distorts so badly that I cannot figure out where the next stitch goes!  Believe me, I have done a bit of stitching and pulling out and re-stitching.  But Tara C. told me that it would take about 100 stitches before I got into a rhythm, so I am not giving up.

Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment